Cedar Park, TX
Cedar Park is a city in Williamson county in the U.S. state of Texas. A small portion of the city extends into neighboring Travis County. According to the 2013 U.S Census estimate, the population is 59,207. The city is a major suburb of Austin, the center of which is approximately 16 miles (26km) to the southeast, although Austin directly borders Cedar Park at the latter's southern extent. Before the arrival of European settlers in the 19th century, the Cedar Park area was inhabited by various Native American tribes including the Tonkawa, the Lipan Apache, and the Comanche. A paleo-American archaeological site (named the Wilson-Leonard site) was discovered in Cedar Park in 1983 that showed evidence of continual habitation of the area since circa 5000 BC. In the mid-19th century the community was known as Running Brushy, named after a spring that formed the headwaters of a creek of the same name. In 1873 George and Harriet Cluck, after having run cattle up the Chisholm Trail for many years, bought 329 acres (1.33km2) of land that included the Running Brushy spring. Their ranch formed the core of the community that would one day become Cedar Park. Ten years later, the railroad came through. The Austin & Northwest Railroad, which connected the state capitol with the cities of Burnet and Lampasas to the north, was finished in 1882 and passed through Running Brushy and the Cluck ranch. The community was at this point renamed Bruggerhoff, after a railroad company official. However, the name was generally disliked by locals, being both hard to spell and pronounce. In 1887, Emmett Cluck (son of George and Harriet) changed the community name to Cedar Park. In 1892, a "strolling park" of 0.5 acres (2,000m2) was built near the train depot. Austinites would ride the train to Cedar Park for day trips to the park.